Countdown to Ciaran's 4th birthday

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, November 17, 2008

Morphine

We discovered I can not tolerate morphine. It took about 24 hours to realize that, so in the meantime, my world sucked. As you can see in the first pic, I am holding on to the crib...I wouldn't let go. My world was spinning, I was so nauseous that they had to give me antinausea medicine. I could not sleep, my eyes would not focus and would roll so far back in my head that sometimes no one could see the iris only the white part. We kept telling the nurses but everyone kind of blew it off.

On Thursday when Dr. Moss' asst, Mary, came in to check me, she noticed right away that there was something wrong and said she would go get the doc. When Dr. Moss got there, my eyes were fine (of course!) although they had been scrambling for the last 24 hours. He asked if anyone had held me yet and the answer was no. Mommy was so happy to finally hold me. So Mommy and Oma held me for a couple of hours. It made me feel a lot better. The hospital chaplain, Charlie, came in to talk with us and said a wonderful prayer for my recovery.
Still feeling puny...
Oma's turn to comfort me.
Holding on for dear life as my world spins.
Then....BAM-MO!! I was better. 30 minutes after the chaplain and Kerry had come to my room and prayed for me, I snapped out of it.
Goodness, here I am sitting up...just like that. Crazy stuff...Mary came back in the room a while later and said she realized it was the morphine. Thank GOD he put that wisdom in Mary's head to discover that fact...I know it was those hands that were put on me during prayer a few minutes before that helped me get out of my funk. Funny thing is, I've had morphine after all of my other surgeries but I think I was given more doses over a longer period of time...this time; whereas with the other surgeries, Mommy recalls me getting only one or two doses as opposed to the 24 hour cycle I was given.

No comments: