Countdown to Ciaran's 4th birthday

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Results of appts

Kinda funny...I'll wear my shades, but not my glasses....hmmm... Look at how long those piggytails are??? This is me throwing Uncle Shaun a dirty look...he played with me so much...I had a ton of fun at their house!!
My cousin, Skyler, eating his basketti...
Well, I had my spine MRI on Thursday and much to Mommy's surprise...it only lasted a little over an hour. They ended up gassing me instead of putting me out through an IV.

On Friday, we met with Dr. Moss, the neurosurgeon, and Mary...his right hand nurse ;-) They reviewed the MRI and concluded I did, in fact, have a severely tethered cord. He said I need to have surgery within the month and should have that scheduled the first part of the week....I will let everyone know when it is. This will be my 4th surgery...good God, I am only 20 months old...

Here is the clincher...it's worse than we thought...he asked Mommy a lot of questions about my legs and feet and their movement. He said there is a possibility that once he gets into my spine and spinal cord area where the tethering is occurring, that if the leg nerves are wound up too much, he might come out and ask Mommy & Daddy if they want them cut. This might truly be the best option for my spinal cords sake. My abdomen and organs are truly more important than my legs. If this should happen, let's pray that Mommy and Daddy are at peace with their decision. On the other hand, Mommy knows a lot of other SB kids online and most come out of surgery pain-free and actually have more mobility. We're praying for that.

Dr. Moss also said I have a Syrinx (google it) located in the cervical area of my spine, but his biggest concern right now is the detethering of my cord. He said the syrinx is very small and shouldn't be causing me any additional pain or discomfort. He wants to reevaluate this theory about 6-8 weeks post surgery.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mommy and Ciaran, I just love your page and visit it often.. I am sooo proud of the progress you are making. I wish I could get away with wearing glasses as cool as yours. ( I think people would laugh at a 51 year old wearing pink glasses). We are always praying for you and will continue to. We have you on a prayer change. God Bless you All & keep in touch. Loads of Love Bob & Chrissy

Anonymous said...

My dear little Ciaran, I know this surgery will be rough however the easy part is for you. As for mommy and daddy I'm not sure.... We will all be here for you and pray for a speedy recovery for you, mom and dad. You are strong and making remarkable progress on everything you do. This is just another hump in the road and you will get through it. If you need Auntie Deb to make you feel better and comfort mom and dad while you are in surgery, I can arrange to be there!
I luv u, Auntie

Anonymous said...

OMG, Wendy!!!

You poor thing and that little precious one too! I will definatly be praying for you guys and your decisions with her surgery's.
Will you please let me know when the surgery is?

Also, LOVE the piggy tails!!!
~~~ Jackie

Anonymous said...

I look how much you have grown. I remember the lil' pea in the big pod(mommy's belly). Domanique and I were just looking at a picture of you and her together at our house. We love looking at the website to see what me miss. I wish we could take everything away and make your recovery fast as (u know what) another bad word from Auntie Georgie, sorry. Domanique and I just wanted U Know how much we LOVE you and wish and pray for all the best, and we have you in our thoughts, and mommy and daddy should not worry they always have your best interest in heart so any decision they make is always the best so our love to them too!!!! Lots of Love Domanique & Georgie.