Countdown to Ciaran's 4th birthday

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Okay...Okay


I know it has been awhile since I've posted but I sat Mommy down to help me update everyone.


The past couple of days I have been very sick. The last week I have been gagging when I eat (this is common for SB kids) and then on Tuesday, I threw up...ewww. I have also been extremely constipated. This is a typical for someone with my lesion level of spina bifida...L3. Well on Tuesday night I passed all the poo...I know...TMI (too much info). On Wed. morning, I had a fever of 103.2. Mommy was startled since I have never had a fever this high. Mommy was concerned that I may have had a UTI (urinary tract infection)...when you are severly constipated...the poo presses on your bladder and makes it malformed..?? misformed?? (Not sure of the word) and sometimes the urine is not all drained out properly when Mommy caths me. I have only had one UTI and that was when I was 3 mos old...and I was constipated at that time also. Hmmm...
So Mommy loaded me up and off to Dr. Barton's we went...he's my pediatrician. He said when someone is constipated, the wall of the colon or large intestine gets thinner and it is easier for the toxins in the poo to leak through. I know...TMI...but aren't we all learning from this?!?!?!? They also checked my ears and lungs, throat and urine....everything looked ok, so, they gave me antibiotics and shipped me home.
OOPS...I think I forgot to mention that I have been dehydrated, hence the severe constipation. I think Mommy was getting frustrated with me because I wouldn't drink anything and she was injecting Pedialyte into my mouth...I wasn't having any part of this. But by evening I was feeling better and played with Mommy for a couple of hours.
On Thursday morning my temp was 103.6...not good. Mommy called the doctor and the doctor said, No more monkeys jumping on the bed....no, not really, he said, come in. At this point we are thinking there might be an infection in my shunt....but to make sure it wasn't viral (there is something going around BHC), he sent me over to the hospital to get blood work done. When we got the results a few hours later...it was bacterial so the doc told me to come in and they were going to IV the antibiotics into me so they would work faster. In addition to that, I was shivering and my eyes were rolling...I will post a short video that Mommy took of me...she was so scared.
Dr. Barton said if this didn't help we would probably have to fly me to Phx because it is likely my shunt has an infection or is malfunctioning. But the we still don't know where the infection is in my body...we're thinking the poo toxins.
Low and behold, my fever broke about 7 pm on Thurs..YEA!! I've been good as new ever since, well, almost...Mommy and I even went to Blake's football game in Henderson...they WON!! And Blake made a TD...his second of the season.

No comments: