Countdown to Ciaran's 4th birthday

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Another surgery

As most of you know, Mommy thought my spinal cord was retethering.  Well, two weeks ago we went for my MRI and Dr. Moss gave us the results.  They were worse than Mommy expected so it was a loonnnggg ride home from Phx. 

One of my conditions is called the Arnold Chiari Malformation.  My cerebellum is pulled down in to my spinal column and is compressed against my skull and upper cervical vertebraes and it is not allowing the correct flow of brain/spinal fluid.  This is causing a syrinx...a fluid filled pocket in my spinal cord.  The spinal cord should be solid.  3/4 of my cord has fluid in it.  This is causing my scoliosis, my headaches, my irritability, my lack of not wanting to eat, my gagging and coughing, my loss of balance, etc.

To alleviate all of this, I must have a decompression surgery.  This surgery will consist of removing the occipital portion of my skull and the back of the top 3 vertebraes.  Yippee.... :-{ Folks, this is a doozie of a procedure.  IF this procedure does not help to drain the syrinx, another procedure will have to be done.  Dr. Moss will have to put in a shunt in my spinal cord and it would drain into my abdomen just like my other shunt in my brain.  All of this info has to be sent to SLC Shriner's Hosp to my orthopedic doctor because they are monitoring my scoliosis. 

Surgery details :::: December 2, 2009 at 8 am at Phx Childrens Hospital.  They told Mommy I should be in there 3-5 days.  The toughest part of recovery is learning to turn my head again because they will have cut through my neck muscles.  Nurse Mary told Mommy they do sedate me for most of the time.  Mommy is happy about that because
I hate to be on my back (this is probably why) and I will have to stay ON my back.

Mommy will be able to update my site from the hospital.  She found out where the computers were...The Emily Center.
 
Please put me in your prayer groups.  Pray for me, Mommy, Daddy and Dr. Moss. 

Love to all and Happy Thanksgiving.

P. S. Our computer crashed so Mommy is going to Memaw's house to update.

9 comments:

Linda said...

My sweet girl, you are always in my thoughts and prayers along with Mommy and Daddy. I I will be saying a special prayer for you on December 2. hugs and kisses. Love, cousin Linda

Anonymous said...

Hugs, Kisses, Prayers, and more hugs, from Ohio.

Meinhardt Family said...

Hi Wendy,

I'm thinking about you and the family. Good thoughts and prayers for all of you. Please keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Oh Honey! I'm so sorry you're having to go through another invasive, scary surgery. You're a fighter and hopefully you'll have the same results and fast recovery that you did with the detethering. Aunt Norie loves you bunches and will be praying for you, mommy, daddy and all the doctors and nurses.

XOXOXOX
Aunt Norie

Jessica said...

Praying for you guys!! I know things will go well! Please keep us updated as you can!

Cassie said...

Good grief, I know that is not what you wanted to hear. I'm sorry your little one has to go through this surgery. I will most certainly be praying for her and for you.

Anonymous said...

God Bless you All!!! You are always in my prayers even though we are so far away. I love and miss you Wendy & Ciaran. Lots of Love and prayers coming your way from Washington & Montana (that's where Miss Justine is currently going to school). xoxoxox Jannah, Justine & Jim

Anonymous said...

Our family will pray daily for you! You guys are fighters and you will have an army of prayers!

Love, Rick,Jami, Miguel, Gavin, & Ciarans baby Liam

The Asklands said...

God Bless you all, our thoughts & prayers will be with you during this time.