Countdown to Ciaran's 4th birthday

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Orthopedic update



The girls waiting for Dr. Huang. Say Cheese!!!















Waiting for the physical therapist...you have that thing again Mommy, that camera thing.

















Okay...where to start...Mommy likes the new ortho doc, Dr. Huang, alot better than the previous doc. He spent alot of time with us and really tried to explain things to Mommy, whereas Dr. Vu did not. Dr. Huang doesn't want me in braces yet, either. He does know Mommy is going to demand them at the next appt in Oct. He felt my feet (the turning outward/upward thing) wasn't that bad because they were still flexible.


The physical therapist, Linda, thought I had some impressive moves for my lesion level. (The part where my spinal cord came out) I was rolling over for her, crawling, playing, sitting up...I didn't hold anything back. We were hoping that with Linda behind us as we went into the ortho appt that maybe the doc would approve them.

Now for the bad news....I have scoliosis. My local P/T, Ann, and Mommy both thought I did. Well, after they did the X-rays, the image was there, plain as day. The upper curve was at 27° and the lower was about half that. So, you figure your spine should be 180°...straight up and down...and a right angle is 90°, so my spine is almost a third of the way to a right angle. Did I confuse everybody??? I haven't passed Geometry yet, but I think I explained it as well as I could. The doc said he is not going to be concerned until it reaches 50°. So in the meantime, Ann, the P/T and Mommy are keeping me flexible and working my abs, obliques and back muscles.
The previous post, the one with me in the orange swimsuit, actually shows how bad my back is already. Mommy is very worried about this because she has another on-line friend and their daughter had to have rods put in her back. Let's all pray it doesn't get much worse, K????

No comments: