Countdown to Ciaran's 4th birthday

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Urology appt - Important

On Monday, Mommy found out that we have to go to Phoenix on June 2 for an appt with the urologist, Dr. Ritchie. What they do during this urodynamics test is test the pressure in my bladder...first, they will empty my bladder, then they will fill it back up with a solution. Meanwhile, the catheter they are using to do all of this is hooked up to a machine that tells them how much liquid my bladder can hold and at what point I start to leak urine. Obviously the goal is not to leak at low pressure.

But who wants to be like everyone else??? Not me...so my bladder does some crazy things all on its own. The muscles of my bladder spasm so I take a medicine 3 times a day to help control the spasming and it helps my bladder to relax so it can expand to hold the pee-pee so I don't leak. Then, every couple of hours, Mommy comes in with the pee-pee sticks and empties my bladder for me. Then I am comfortable for another few hours. Nice and empty... and dry.

So needless to say, this test needs to be done every 6 months or so. Let's all hope and pray that nothing really changes, no increase in meds or that I can hold a lot of pee-pee without leaking. It's kind of ironic that most mommies want their children to pee in the diapers but mine doesn't...hmmm.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ciaran:
You don't know my son and I but we have known your dad and mom forever it seems. I am glad you are doing better and better. Be a good girl...
Love Phyllis/Jacko