Countdown to Ciaran's 4th birthday

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, October 24, 2011

A Voice From the Past

Hello fellow bloggers. It has been quite awhile since our last posting. Our apologies.

First and foremost, thank you for keeping us in your thoughts. I did not realize how much I missed you all. Life kept happening and quickly and hasn't given me a chance to come up for air.

Ciaran is doing well, for the most part. She is having surgery #10 on Wednesday. This will be her 5th detethering.

Ciaran is in her 3rd year of preschool and will be 5 in January.

I promise to get caught up with each of you in the near future. Please keep us in your prayers this week....

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm sorry to hear that Ciaran is having another surgery! I will keep her in my prayers this week. I can't believe these kids are growing up so fast! It's good to hear from you!

Anonymous said...

Hey! We’re putting on an online live Q&A with Dr. Levitt from Cincinnati Children’s Hospital about fecal incontinence related to spina bifida, on February 22nd, 2012 at 7:00pm ET. If you’d like to participate in the event, you can RSVP here: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/2912706985. If you’re interested in hosting the event on your site or blog and would like some more info, please contact me, John Martin at john (at) partnershub.com. Thanks!

Jessica said...

I've missed you!
I thought I'd post here instead of on my blog to make sure you saw it. You asked if I regretted Gage's decompression. I can't say I really regret it, but I do question whether it was necessary. Gage was having a loss of function, and was regressing with his walking. When they did the MRI, they found that there wasn't any fluid movement through his foramen magnum, and they also found that cluster of cysts. They decompressed the chiari and the cysts in the same surgery. Well, the cysts came back, causing the same symptoms, and were probably the culprit all along. I wish now that we had gone to this other neuro in Memphis much earlier. He questioned what made them do the Chiari decompression, and when he did surgery on the returned cysts, he got it all and they didn't come back (at least we're pretty sure they didn't- it's been over a year with no new symptoms). So, I bet if he had done the surgery to begin with, he would have gotten all the cysts the 1st time, and left the Chiari alone. Of course, that's all speculation now. It may be that we would have gotten the cysts and he would have had another surgery to decompress anyway.